For Kids Clothes Week, day 4, I made this hat for baby girl. She really needs to wear a hat along with a long sleeved swim shirt if she’s going to spend a day on the beach for sun protection.
I used McCall’s 6762 View A for the pattern. I measured her head and selected a size S, as her head is was 19″. That didn’t work very well. It was much too small. So I let out all the seams to 1/4″ seam allowances, as I’d assumed they were meant to be 5/8″. Maybe I’d missed something as size small was not 19″ when sewn at 5/8″. Oh, well. It fits now, and I think its cute. The crown is a little too tall for her, if I make another, I’ll shorten it by 1/2″.
Its of the same fabric as her swim shorts, made for KCW, day 3. As a polyester, it won’t hold much moisture, which makes it a good choice for “swimming” [read: splashing in the shallows and persistent attempted pebble eating, possibly just to make Grandma panic repeatedly].
I selected a contrasting fabric for the lining. As a conservative, its almost too wild for me.
To finish up, here’s a photo of my babe with the swim shorts I made yesterday (hurray- she’s got a complete girly swim outfit now- no more Thomas the Tank Engine and extended family gathering at the lake house forgetting our newest family member is a GIRL). She was not very interested in modeling today, so this is the best photo I’ve got. They are more becoming on her when she’s not smooshing her back against the couch in attempt to get farther from the camera.
Hope you’re enjoying KCW as much as I am 🙂
Yesterday was a tough day to get much sewing done for Kids Clothes Week. Yet, today I am pressing on 😉 Here’s the swim shorts I made for baby girl.
Swim shorts for a baby girl? Yes! She is very fair and for long days by the lake with Grandparents (there’s the traveling theme again!), we have found protective clothing to be superior to sunscreens. Note the long sleeved swim shirt. I intend to make her a matching sun hat for this outfit, if fabric and time permit. She is not modeling her new pieces today as she is napping- which is why I am blogging! And my poor husband will be doing the dishes tonight 😦 since this is how I am spending nap time.
I chose tutti frutti for these swim shorts because polyester doesn’t hold much water, so it will dry really quickly, and they won’t be super heavy when wet. The little lady selected the little bird print herself. The thick waistband is to help them stay up and prevent tummy show, while the back rise is significantly longer, and the backwaist is elasticized, both to provide coverage and movement. They’re a modification of the PJ shorts pattern from day 1. I trimmed down the casing allowance (so the shorts themselves end at the part of her tummy where her pants usually rest + added seam allowance), created a wide waistband (which will sit higher on her tummy than usual) and trimmed about 1/2″ off the width of each leg (so she won’t have so much extra fabric to weigh her down when wet).
I also revisited that pajama top from day 1 as well. I decided to make her a second one, which fits better. I completed the modifications I mentioned in the day 1 post. It was very quick sewing, and I will try to include a pattern and a tutorial here on the blog in the next few weeks as it may be something other seamstresses might enjoy.